Salmon fishing is one of the most popular fishing sports today and continues to grow in popularity. There are different types of salmon, each with their own unique characteristics and appeal to fishermen. The largest of the Lake Michigan salmon is the Chinook Salmon, which can grow up to 40 inches long and weigh as much as 45 pounds.
Lake Michigan Coho Fishing
The Coho Salmon is the second most valuable and important salmon in the fishing industry. The Coho is also known as "silvers" because of their silvery sheen. These salmon are popular in seafood markets and are often sold whole to consumers. They are great for canning and for smoking. The Coho averages about 29 inches and weights approximately 9 pounds. The Pink Salmon is rarely caught.This is also the smallest of the salmon, weighing 4 pounds and averaging about 22 inches long. The Pink salmon is the least valuable of all the salmon, and it is found in the least abundance. Pink salmon are used mostly for canning and not for eating fresh over the coals.
Chinook Salmon Fishing.
The Health Benefits of Omega-3 Fatty Acids
Fish oil benefits
Here are seven major fish oil benefits:
1. Lowers blood triglycerides - high levels of triglycerides are known to be a risk factor for cardiovascular disease.
2. Helps reduce likelihood of blood clots - fish oil benefits include the prevention of blood platelets from sticking together and forming blood clots.
3. Lowers mild high blood pressure - fish oil helps lower blood pressure when it is due to high cholesterol and hardening of the arteries.
4. Reduces inflammation from rheumatoid arthritis, psoriasis and gout - fish oil health benefits come from the DHA and EPA that reduce the amount of inflammation-causing substances.
5. Lowers risk of developing Altzheimer's Disease - studies have found that fish oil seems to help protect the nervous system.
6. Reduces depression rates - the lack of DHA has been linked to higher incidence rates of depression.
7. Improves immune system function - fish oil benefits and studies have linked lowered risk of breast cancer and prostate cancer to the consumption of fish oil.
Sport fishermen love the serenity of fishing charters available off the western shores of Lake Michigan.If you enjoy fishing, think about a charter to carry you to the best salmon fishing spots. Charters often offer sunset cruises as well, so you can sight see. You can charter a boat for a day or a week.
Coloring: iridescent green to blue-green on back; sides below lateral line silvery; to white underside
Common Names: king salmon, tyee, spring salmon, quinnat
Found in Lakes: Stocked in Michigan, Huron, Ontario, Erie and Superior
Many Chinook Salmon end their days as trophies mounted on tavern and game room walls. In tribute to their size and character, they are also known as "king salmon."
Chinook were the first Pacific salmon to be transplanted to other parts of the world, but the only notable success in creating self-sustaining stocks has been in New Zealand. A key factor in this general failure was that, like other Pacific salmon, Chinook salmon seek the stream of their birth to spawn and die. They have apparently failed to find the right kind of spawning streams along Lake Michigan, so continuous stocking is necessary to maintain the Chinook as one of the lake's most prized game fish.
Chinook are generally caught by trolling. But as winter approaches and the lake becomes colder, they disappear in search of more suitable water temperatures. Some say they veer south along a route five to 15 miles offshore; others say that, unlike cohos, they simply move offshore into deeper water. For several reasons, this salmon species is especially popular with fish management agencies. They can be released five to six months after hatching and therefore are cheaper to hatch and stock than cohos, which require 14 to 16 months. During their four- to five-year lifespan.
Lake Michigan Sunrise
September 2018 Afternoon 8 Hour Charter
Our Collection of over 1,000 Hoard Body Baits
July 2018 Charter
920-207-7000 Rates and benefits "Last-Modified" "08-02-2019" The Port of Sheboygan Wisconsin, has never looked better. Captain Steven-John and Captain Forrest Bignell will be there for you. This is your charter, so let the planing begin, and give us a call today.